An Austrian woman was given a nasty surprise after a snake appeared on her toilet, just days after a man was bitten in the ‘genital area’ by a reptile lurking in his loo.
Eva Kastner, 68, was left gobsmacked after going into her bathroom in her Vienna apartment only to find a 3ft 3ins long python slithering on her toilet seat on Friday.
Ms Kastner took a photo of the reptilian intruder and sent it to the police, who called the wildlife service to remove the lurking snake.
Expert workers retrieved the python from Ms Kastner’s bathroom and took it to an animal shelter, before it was later transferred to the Forchtenstein Reptiles Zoo.
Police received a call from an apartment in the capital Vienna after Eva Kastner, 68, spotted a 3ft 3ins long python slithering on her toilet seat (pictured) on Friday
It remains unclear where the large reptile had come from and who it belonged to.
The bizarre incident came just four days after a man, from the southern city of Graz, got the fright of his life when a snake bit him in the ‘genital area’ on July 5.
Walter Erhard, 65, had popped to the toilet at around 6am in the morning when he felt a ‘pinch’ in his genital area as he sat down to relieve himself.
He was stunned to find a 5ft long albino reticulated python, one of the three heaviest snakes, staring back at him from his toilet bowl.
The man called officers, who arrived alongside a local reptile expert, who came to remove the snake from its hiding spot.
Meanwhile, the man was taken to hospital so he could be treated for ‘minor injuries’.
A shocked Ms Kastner (pictured) took a photo of the reptilian intruder and sent it to the police, who called the wildlife service to remove the snake
Expert workers retrieved the lurking python (pictured) from Ms Kastner’s bathroom and took it to an animal shelter, before it was later transferred to the Forchtenstein Reptiles Zoo
Medics said that, fortunately, pythons are not venomous but there was a risk the bite could become infected from bacteria in the toilet.
Expert Werner Stangl said the python was also uninjured, and after being cleaned was returned to its 24-year-old owner – the victim’s neighbour.
Police said the man keeps a total of 11 non-venomous snakes and a gecko in his apartment in specially-designed cages and drawers.
The reptile-owner was unaware the python had escaped until police brought it back, and said it is unclear how the snake managed it.
Its exact route into the neighbour’s apartment is remains unclear, but reptile expert Werner Stangl said it ‘presumably entered the toilet through the sewage system’.
Mr Stangl told local newspaper Salzburger Nachrichten that, in 40 years of dealing with reptiles, he had not seen anything like Monday’s incident.
Police said the snake owner faces charges for negligent bodily harm.
Animal services were also alerted to the presence of a large number of potentially dangerous snakes at his address.
It came four days after a man, from the city of Graz, got the fright of his life when a snake bit him in the ‘genital area’ on July 5. Pictured: Snake expert Werner Stangl removing the python
Mr Stangl told local newspaper Salzburger Nachrichten that, in 40 years of dealing with reptiles, he had not seen anything like Monday’s incident
The week before, two other incidents involving snakes made the headlines in Austria.
In one incident, a 24-year-old man was killed by his pet horned viper, and in another, police discovered 10 snakes and two tarantulas being kept an apartment.
In the second incident, police were checking that a released prisoner was complying with his parole requirements when they came across the animals his apartment in the state of Carinthia.
One of the reptiles was an Australian taipan – one of the deadliest known snakes in the world.
Helga Happ of the Happ Reptile Zoo in the city of Klagenfurt said the reason for the high number of snake-related incidents in Austria is the growing popularity of keeping exotic animals as pets.